Using Custom Code Activities in Event Workflows

Oct 22, 2012 at 3:20 PM

In my event workflows, I'm able to use the activities in artiso.TFSEventWorkflows.TFSActivitiesLib.dll as well as the standard TFS activities, but when I try and use other activities (either custom developed or others available in CodePlex) I get an error:

Workflow error: System.Xaml.XamlObjectWriterException: Cannot create unknown type....

These do not have to explicitly be in the TFSActivitiesLib do they?  Or is there a location that I need to drop the DLL's?  I tried placing them in the two bin locations and same thing.

This is an awesome framework and opens up all kinds of possibilities, but I need my custom activities!

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Dave 

Coordinator
Oct 25, 2012 at 7:43 AM

Hello Dave,

we investigate your problem in the next week and give you a feedback.
I hope it is ok for you.

Christopher

Coordinator
Nov 14, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Hello Dave,

sorry for the late response. But I think I could reproduce your error.

If you subscribe to the WorkItemChangedEvent you need to copy the files to the JobAgent directory (…\Microsoft Team Foundation Server 11.0\Application Tier\TFSJobAgent\plugins). After that you need to restart the JobAgent service located und Services -> Visual Studio Team Foundation Background Job Agent. Without the restart I get the same System.Xaml.XamlObjectWriterException.

I hope that solves your problem.

Regards,

Markus

Nov 14, 2012 at 4:34 PM

Markus--

Thanks for the response--I'll give it a try and let you know the outcome.

Dave

Nov 29, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Markus--

Got back to this project--was able to make it work.  I was actually working with the BuildQuality rather than the work items, so having my DLL with custom code activities in the \Program Files\Microsoft Team Foundation Server 2010\Application Tier\Web Services\bin\Plugins folder did the trick.

Weird though because I swear I put it in every directory trying to get it to work.

But, this time, worked like a charm.

Thanks,

Dave